JN White developed a solution utilizing black injection molded elastomer for the complex user interface. The elastomer provided all of the benefits and flexibility needed to address the many tough requirements of the project.
- Durability– The molded elastomer is formed around the PCB creating a gasket like seal. When the user interface is screwed into place that pressure seals it to the product. Making the interface withstand low pressure water jets used to clean the product.
- Withstanding UV/cleaning solvents/ chemical – Elastomer keypads are well-suited for applications in the industrial equipment industry. This is especially true for those that are exposed to extreme temperatures, or those which may experience extreme weather. The material also has high chemical resistance giving longevity to the product.
- Luminous Backlighting- The backlit printed circuit board structure is encapsulated in the elastomer rubber for outstanding lighting capabilities. The elastomer in the piece is unique in that JNW is using it to light pipe the LEDs. Light piping is a method of transmitting the light from the PCB mounted LEDs to the front display panel while increasing the observable brightness. The interface used an amber LED for icon indicators and white side firing LEDs for each button. In addition to using tri-color (red, orange, green), bi-color (orange, green) and mono color to achieve the green power indicator bar. For each LED indicator there is a clear hard plastic insert to let the light through. This also allows the base black elastomer in between each bar to prevent light bleeding.
- Tactile Feedback- The tactile feedback was enhanced by force actuators molded into the back of the elastomer. The elastomer also allows for high-profile buttons to be molded. In this case the addition of a recess and rimmed arrows further define the button for those working with gloves. These features can only be achieved through custom molded elastomer.
- Programming- The user interface has IC chips built into it – considered the brains of the switch. The IC chip is programmed with a set of sequences to activate the lights. The electronics are set up to light one area at a time.
The final product was an innovative user-interface with several exciting and interesting elements that met the customer’s specific and demanding requirements. The initial objectives were achieved through the use of molded elastomer, a material known for its durability, high tactile switch actuation force and phenomenal backlighting capabilities. The additional objectives were achieved through the use of tri-colored, bi-colored, and mono colored side firing LEDs programmed by IC chips all mounted to a custom designed PCBA. JN White met all the customers’ requirements and went above and beyond in satisfying the client.
See What Our Customers Are Saying
"Very pleased with your team's response to our need during the COVID-19 crisis."
Lisa L., Medical Device
"JN White has been exceptional in working with our company in order to develop the look and feel of our new MRI patient worn transmitter. We had originally worked with a prior manufacturer for an earlier version of this product with much less desirable results. JN White delivered a clean professional product at a very reasonable price on time!"
Gary P., Medical
"We had very little information to work with and Jessica James made it nearly effortless on our end to get us exactly what we needed in a timely manner."
Lexi W., Industrial Equipment
"Getting any after-market graphic overlays done always has a certain risk factor in getting it all right. You guys were helpful, patient, & knowledgeable to achieve the best end result. Even pointing out some things that might be [an] oversight or [areas for] improvements. The outcome was perfect."
John S., Technology
"The print task was between the USA and Australia and everything went so smooth. I submitted a drawing, got a return email for me to confirm what I wanted. Even though this was over the Christmas period the print was waiting for me when I got back to work after the holidays. Great job and thanks."
Matt C., Military
"All of the folks there at JN White that I have talked to and dealt with have been very nice and professional."
Vern L., Industrial
"Customer service is wonderful. Receive confirmations and responses in a timely manner. Product has great quality."
Sara H., Medical
"It has been a pleasure working with JN White. We switched suppliers for some of our products to your company and you have given us higher quality. Excellent work!"
Roger W., Education
"I feel confident that JN White will do my order correctly."
Marie P., Government
"I found working with Sara to be a pleasant experience. We were trying to dial in the color to get just the right look on the printed substrate...Sara sent us a sample print sheet that had several variations, up and down, from the colors we specified, which allowed me to pick exactly the color we wanted. The end result product is perfect!"
Don M., Safety
"Our department has used JN White for a number of years for our inspection labels. They always respond very quickly when we contact them to place an order and communication is great with any questions we have. Highly recommend them."
Jim R., Government
"Easy process and great people to work with."
Richard Z., Military
"I'm very satisfied with your service. Always looking forward to bring the best!"
Ramses Z., Medical Devices
"JN White is very responsive to their customers. Product is delivered as expected...and they provide quality products. They have a clear understanding of the obstacles facing US based customers regarding the entire supply chain."
Bob M., Point of Sale
"We always deal with Steve Matacz. He is the best at making sure all details are perfect. Timely communication with any questions we have."
Paul A., Recreational
"Customer response time is one of the best; always prompt and helpful. On-time performance the last 12 months is 100%."
RoseMarie C., Utilities
"Customer service, quality and lead time are great! No complaints."
Sara H., Medical Devices